Media release: Melbourne Anglicans to join national redress scheme
May 31 2018The Anglican Diocese of Melbourne has resolved to join the proposed National Redress Scheme for victims of child sexual abuse.
Melbourne Archbishop Philip Freier announced today that the Archbishop in Council has given final approval to join the scheme proposed by the Federal Government.
"The Anglican Church has been shocked and dismayed by its failures to protect children and respond to survivors of child sexual abuse,” Dr Freier said.
“These failures are evidenced in the public inquiries of the Royal Commission and the Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry, which reported in 2013. The Anglican Church - and I personally - have apologised for our failures to survivors of child sexual abuse.
“We have been working continuously for well over a decade to improve our response to survivors and our approach to redress, and are grateful for the work of the Victorian Inquiry and the Royal Commission."
Dr Freier says the Anglican Diocese of Melbourne believes that an independent and easy to access process for survivors, such as that proposed in the National Redress Scheme, is the right way forward. “Therefore we are committed to joining it."
The council’s resolution noted the recommendations of the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Abuse and the Victorian Parliamentary report Betrayal of Trust, and that the council had already resolved to respond quickly and decisively.
For more information, contact media adviser Barney Zwartz: firstname.lastname@example.org, or 0422 373 891.